Is KDE4 usable on FreeBSD?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Nov 1 21:53:55 PDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 05:04:15PM +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Saturday, November 01, 2008 a las 04:34:38PM +0100, Wojciech Puchar escribió:
> >
> > the question should be "Is KDE usable at all on any OS?"
> > the answer is no, it's crappy imitation of windoze.
> >
> > If someone needs windoze like soft, just buy windows vista.
> >
> > For someone who need unix, FreeBSD is a good choice.
>
> I disagree concerning "KDE && windoze"; I'm using KDE 3.5.8 and it is a very
> good and stable desktop, even for kernel folks and hackers; I run it
> with FreeBSD 7.0R on my daily work laptop;

My impression, over the last few years, is that the above description is
backwards.  MS Windows seems to be emulating KDE, rather than the other
way around.  Vista looked surprisingly like KDE3 when it made it into the
public eye, and the rumor now is that the 7 pre-beta looks surprisingly
like KDE4.

As such, KDE appears to be an excellent choice for a gentle transition
from MS Windows to the Unixy world -- and it may provide a better
experience overall.

Still . . . KDE isn't for me.

Besides all that, this thread was spawned by reference to KDE4, which is
significantly different in behavior than KDE3 in some insidious ways.  As
such, I'm not sure one's experience with KDE3 is the best litmus for
whether KDE4 is or will be a good choice.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Quoth Bill McKibben: "The laws of Congress and the laws of physics have