Mounting Sony Ericsson v630i

Jille Timmermans jille at quis.cx
Sat Nov 1 17:39:59 PDT 2008

Hello list,

First of all: Please keep me in To/Cc; I'm not on the list.

I am trying to mount my Sony Ericsson v630i telephone; connected with an
USB cable.

In short:
How can I tell FreeBSD to wait for checking the device till I chose for
file-transfer-mode ? Or recheck after I had the chance to choose that mode ?

Full text:
If I plug the cable; dmesg says:
ugen0: <Sony Ericsson Sony Ericsson V630, class 2/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr
2> on uhub1
ugen0: at uhub1 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
ugen0: detached
umass0: <Sony Ericsson Memory Stick, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2>
on uhub1
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Sony Eri Memory Stick 0000> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

At this moment, /dev/da0 exists and it shows up in devlist:
[root at istud ~]# camcontrol devlist -v
scbus0 on umass-sim0 bus 0:
<Sony Eri Memory Stick 0000>       at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
<  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

[root at istud ~]# camcontrol tur da0
Unit is not ready
[root at istud ~]# camcontrol tur da0
Unit is ready

(tur always says 'not ready' the first run; and from the second run
always 'ready')
But; da0s1 doesn't show up

I played around with camcontrol and suddenly da0s1 showed up; and I was
able to mount it.
The problem is that I don't know what to do if I want my da0s1;
repeating the same steps (the camcontrol commands I hit in random order)
doesn't do the trick.

I think the problem lies within the way the telephone works:
If I plug the cable, it sees the connection and asks whether I want to
transfer files or use 'telephone mode' (be a mode for the computer I think).
and it only reveals the filesystem when tansfer-mode is chosen.

So how can I tell FreeBSD to wait checking for filesystems etc till I
choose transfer-mode ?
Or how can I let it do the check again ?

I assume he marks the device as useless after not being able to
determine the filesystem size.

FreeBSD istud.quis.cx 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #0 r184077M:
Mon Oct 20 16:22:26 CEST 2008
quis at istud.quis.cx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ISTUD  amd64
(svn + multi-IP jail patches)

-- Jille