Is KDE4 usable on FreeBSD?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Nov 1 16:48:16 PDT 2008

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 13:36:30 -1000, Al Plant <noc at hdk5.net> wrote:
> Aloha,
> Try XFCE 3 or 4 for an excellent OS window manager.

XFCE 3 can be turned into a CDE lookalike if it's desired.
It's very lightweight and still features all the nice things
you know from a UNIX X environment. Zsers coming from CDE
will feel comfortable, if you take the time to tweak the
settings a little bit.

XFCE 4 has turned into the third "big player", right in one
line with KDE and Gnome. If you don't mind ressources, XFCE 4
is really an excellent piece of software, you even won't miss
dsktop effects featured by KDE or Gnome. It's very versatile
in these regards.

See these:

	http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/design-your-own-desktop-with-xfce-44/

	http://xubuntublog.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/design-your-own-desktop-with-xfce-44-part-2/

In my opinion - and that's very individual, you know - WindowMaker
is one of the best window managers around. Fast, lightweight,
easy to configure, excellent keyboard support (that's where the
other ones are lacking), ah, and did I mention it's fast? You
can provide a useful (!) system even on a P1 150 MHz system
with it. No joke.

If the magic of the tiling window managers opens up to you,
you will even be more productive. Allthough I tried several
of them, their magic wouldn't open up to me... :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0