7.0-RELEASE panic

1 at movesmountains.com 1 at movesmountains.com
Sat May 31 16:48:55 UTC 2008

Hi,
Apologies for the somewhat-generic subject line, not sure what else to call
it.

I have a new, fairly generic i386 box, with a fresh install of 7.0-RELEASE
using pretty much the default options.  I'm using a generic kernel with the
addition of "options GEOM_BDE".  I have had a couple of panics with it over
a day or two; I can't pinpoint what is causing it, it has panicked when I'm
not there and nothing seems to be going on.  I recompiled the kernel shortly
after install, so don't know if it will panic on the generic kernel alone.

There is a vmcore in /var/crash, and I followed the instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneld
ebug-gdb.html

However, I'm not sure if kgdb is telling me I have a physical memory
problem, or if it is telling me it's not working properly, (or more likely
I'm not using it properly):

odin2008# kgdb kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.1
[GDB will not be able to debug user-mode threads: /usr/lib/libthread_db.so:
Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".
Cannot access memory at address 0x2fd9
(kgdb) where
#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(kgdb) quit

odin2008# more /var/crash/info.1
Dump header from device /dev/ad4s1b
  Architecture: i386
  Architecture Version: 2
  Dump Length: 207388672B (197 MB)
  Blocksize: 512
  Dumptime: Sat May 31 15:31:52 2008
  Hostname: odin2008.asgard.movesmountains.com
  Magic: FreeBSD Kernel Dump
  Version String: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008
    root at logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
  Panic String: page fault
  Dump Parity: 797791774
  Bounds: 1
  Dump Status: good

Oddly, I'm also seeing typos in /var/log/messages, which may or may not be
related - e.g.

May 30 0:14:53 odin2008 savecore: rebot after panic: age fault
May 3 10:14:3 odin2008 savecore: wrting core to vmcore.0
May 30 10:16:03 odin2008 sck: /dev/ad4s1: 8 files, 7 used, 253808 free 40
frag,
31721 blocks, 0.0% frgmentation)

fsck isn't showing any problems.

Can anyone advise me what to do from here?  Does this look like a hardware
problem?  Any help appreciated!

Yours,
Mark