Looking for gurus willing to help write Freebsd tutorials

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat May 31 03:09:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 07:08:20PM -0400, Steve Lake wrote:
>         Hi everyone.  I was wondering if anybody here might be interested
> in writing and donating a few Freebsd tutorials or articles to Raiden's
> Realm to help us boost the number of Freebsd related articles on the
> site.  A lot of what we have is Linux oriented right now because most of
> the people there are Linux oriented.  I'm one of the few who's Freebsd
> oriented.  And since my goal is to help people learn both Linux and
> Freebsd, I'm looking for people willing to help out by writing long or
> short tutorials on doing a variety of simple and complex tasks in Freebsd.
>
>         The site is completely non-profit and is very new user
> oriented.  I've even written a number of tutorials over the past couple of
> years focusing on several things involving Freebsd, from setting up a
> firewall, a workstation, and a file and mail server, to exploring the heart
> of Freebsd in order to help draw new users into our world.  But my
> knowledge only goes so far, and I've seen that you guys really have a lot
> of great knowledge and information to share and if possible, I'd love to
> see a few of you share that knowledge through articles and tutorials on my
> site.
>
>         My simple goal is to help people, and to promote Freebsd (well,
> and Linux too.  hehe) as much as I can to new users.  If anyone's willing
> to help, please let me know, or just shoot me something whenever you get
> the time.  I'm not trying to beg or anything, but rather I'm trying to
> encourage others here to help new users through the web.  Not everyone will
> know about this mailing list, or want to sign up to it.  There's a lot of
> lurkers out there these days, and if you have a good tutorial or article
> posted on a website, it'll improve the chances of them hearing and learning
> about Freebsd.
>
>         Thanks for taking the time to read this.  And if you can help out,
> I'd appreciate it.  Also, I'm not advertising the site.  Just asking for
> some help.  Since open source is about sharing, it only stands to reason
> that some sharing can and should be done as well on the web.  :)

	Hi Steve,

	Several years back I was lead-writer on the "AnswerMan" help
	column.  It was directed mostly at new users of the BSD's and
	aimed primarily at FreeBSD.  We published several tutorial-like
	Q's and A's bi-monthly.   Were heading into our 7th  year before
	the column fell apart.

	Long-story-short, all the contributors gave permission to re-use
	the contents, so feel free to google up the stuff and use what you
	deem usable.

	cheers,

	gary kline

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix