Need to build a new mail server

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sat May 31 02:03:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 04:09:25PM -0400, Bob Johnson wrote:

> I agree. No one should use Qmail unless they have read and completely
> understand every email-related RFC and have at least two years of
> experience running a commercial mail server. Amateurs shouldn't even
> consider it.

I used Qmail for the best part of 10 years as an amateur. It was
moderately hard for me to first set up, it required me to read a lot
of docs and manpages but no RFCs. I compiled and installed from
source. It was still easier than Sendmail back then.

It was install and forget. I started with qmail-1.03 and finished with
qmail-1.03.

I didn't like the FreeBSD port, so when I got my new domain I switched
to Postfix.

> Please, use anything but Qmail. It sprays backscatter spam all over
> the internet.

Nonsense. As a receiver of backscatter on one of my domains running
into thousands, I can tell you most of it comes from misconfigured
anti-spam systems. More rarely from MTAs of all varieties.

As to the original posters question, he should stick to Sendmail on
the assumption he already knows it, as it's part of the base system.

If he's looking for something else, then Postfix is pretty simple to
set up (good docs at it's homesite) and has a good security record.

Regards,

--

 Frank