ssh - connect to directory outside of /user/home - permission denied

Turner Litigation Services turnerlit at gmail.com
Sat May 31 01:53:25 UTC 2008

How do you allow ssh to permit connections to a folder outside of the /home
folder of the user loggin in to ssh?  For example, i want to sync two
folders
(using unison) on different machines and need to ssh to the remote folder ..

but the folder is a shared folder outside of my home folder
(i.e. /user/data/pub).

ssh [username]@[servername] works to get me into the user folder and I can
cd
to the folder I need to access (and have proper perms there)

But, I need to connect to the folder directly to use unison (file/directory
synchronization tool).

ssh [username]@[severname] /usr/data/pub/ gives permission denied errors.

I've heard the directory path needs to be relative to the home path but the
following does not work either:

ssh [username]@[servername] ../../../usr/data/pub/  (where the default
directory for ssh logins is /usr/home/[username]/.)

I've tried formatting variations of the above themes to no avail and suspect

there's a setting somewhere to allow what directories ssh connections can be

made to, or creating a link in [users] home directory to the public
directory.  Your help would be appreciated.

--
Turner Litigation Services
POB 319