Renaming "root" to "homer"?

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:18:31 UTC 2008

2008/5/30 Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>:
>> Peope have already pointed out that it is a bad idea to
>> allow remote root logins, so I won't repeat that.  :-)
>
> i like bad ideas :) except the worst idea - dumb generalization.
>
>> But to answer your question:  Renaming the "root" account
>> will probably break quite a log of things, for example
>
> make 2 roots, root and homer in /etc/master.passwd

Won't work.
sshd does not only check the username, but the UserID, too...
That's what I expect from a security aware software anyway.

A method to deal with this "issue" could be to install sudo and to define
username ALL=(root):NOPASSWD:/path/to/shell

Then you could do
alias su="/usr/local/bin/sudo -u root /path/to/shell"

Needless to say that as soon as the user account is compromised, the
root account is out of your control, too.