Need to build a new mail server

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu May 29 19:56:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 01:35:27PM -0400, Patrick Baldwin wrote:

> Hi all, I've got an older Solaris system running Sendmail for my
> mail server right now.  It's about time to replace it, and I'm
> thinking FreeBSD might be the best choice of OS for the replacement.

Given that, a FreeBSD system could be almost a drop-in replacement.
Sendmail should be the same or very nearly so (depends on the version
you are using now and the nre version).   Aliases should work just
the same.     Your only differences might be in where some things
live.    But, check out the hier(7) man page in FreeBSD.   It
documents the FreeBSD directory conventions.

There are other MTAs and other utilities available to experiment with.
But, if you are comfortable with sendmail, there is no reason to change.
It is mature and very functional; does what you need.    A modern
machine with FreeBSD 7.x should handle large numbers of Email users -
even heavy users.

////jerry