External USB disk won't mount

Mark Ovens parish at magichamster.com
Thu May 29 11:05:06 UTC 2008

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 08:37:55PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
>> Roland Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> You could try using the atausb driver instead of umass. Unfortunately it
>>> doesn't have a manpage yet, but you have to unload umass if you want to
>>> use atausb.
>>>

>> Thanks Roland, but I can't find atausb in either 6.3 or 7.0 - is it a kld
>> module?
>
> Yes;
>
> $ locate atausb
> /usr/src/sys/modules/ata/atausb
> /usr/src/sys/modules/ata/atausb/Makefile
>
> (This is on 7-STABLE)
>
>> Presumably, it would not work with other usb mass storage devices like
>> memory sticks or phones?
>
> It should work with all usb mass storage devices, I think. It just seems
> to be tied into the ata subsystem instead of into the scsi subsystem via
> atapicam.

Hi Roland,

I had to rebuild the kernel without umass in it first, but here's the
result.

It attaches the device as an ata rather than umass - but no devices are
created for the slices/partitions on the disk.

atausb0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
ata2: <USB lun 0> on atausb0
/boot/kernel{105}# ls /dev/ata*
/dev/ata
/boot/kernel{106}# ls /dev/ad*
ls: No match.
/boot/kernel{107}# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
  1   10 0xc0400000 4e1cb8   kernel
  2    1 0xc08e2000 21ef8    linux.ko
  3    1 0xc0904000 65de0    acpi.ko
  4    1 0xc5898000 5000     atausb.ko
  5    1 0xc589d000 d000     ata.ko
/boot/kernel{108}#

I've only tried it on 6.3 at the moment and atausb/Makefile didn't
exist, so I copied it from 7.0, it built and installed without error,
the module kldload'd without error, and it finds the device so I assume
it should be OK in 6.3 even though the Makefile doesn't get cvsup'd?

Regards,

Mark