Stumped:: web HTML. Caution, may be OT.

Christian Zachariasen chrizach at gmail.com
Thu May 29 07:39:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

>        Several weeks ago a friend asked why my www.thought.org page
>        was so hard to read.  She said that part of my text was black
>        on the deep-blue bg on my RHS.  I stopped and checked with
>        firefox; things looked fine.  I've done all markup by hand since
>        '94, very carefully, with only browsers in the ports tree--
>        mozilla, firefox, a couple others.
>
>        About a week ago I viewed my homepage with KDE Konq and almost
>        flipped out.  One "free" commercial historical calender event
>        feature was glued to the bottom of my blue bar (<TABLE></TABLE>)
>        on the RHS of the page.   And yep, the new text and other things
>        were centered in the middle of the long blue rectangle.
>
>        Since I have a few weeks now to work on things beside research,
>        it's time to update my main web page.   My friend was using IE;
>        it may be that Konqueror uses a similar parser to position
>        things on a .php or .html page.
>
>        Other than beginning from Zero and trying to determine exactly
>        what causes firefox and konq to diverge, do any of you have any
>        other ideas?  I've never learned an HTML editors because of the
>        learning curve.  But:: if/when I come up with a better design for
>        my home page, I'm willing to try again:: any best (simple) HTML
>        editors in ports?
>
>        I'd be much obliged for any help here.
>

>        gary
>

> --
>  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
>        http://jottings.thought.org   http://transfinite.thought.org

I say keep using the technique you're using now. That's what I'd do. Instead
of finding a HTML Editor
just find a simple text editor and write all your HTML in a clean manner.

I don't know where Ted got his statistics from, but most people I know use
simple text editors for writing their HTML, CSS
and JavaScript. Personally I stick to vi or diakonos on BSD and Notepad2 on
Windows.

Christian Zachariasen