External USB disk won't mount

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Wed May 28 19:10:29 UTC 2008

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> > I saw a mail yesterday about something nearly like this, from nej, except with
> > him, the umass device wasn't reporting anything at all, no device when he
> > plugged it in.  I sent him a little piece of usb driver code that resets his usb
> > buss, just to experiment and see if that got his devices correctly detected, but
> > he didn't yet reply, I don't know if it worked for him.  I don't have something
> > like that to experiment with.
> >
> > With yours, you obviously have a da2 ... that only means you have a
> > direct-access disk devide #2 being detected.  The next step is to figure oout
> > what kind of formatting you have.  Hopefully, it's been fdisk'ed to where it has
> > partitions, so do this (as root): "/sbin/fdisk /dev/da2", and in fdisk, give the
> > 'p' command, this will print out the formatting for any partitions.  Likely it's
> > either one of the various Microsoft things, or a Linux one, or even a FreeBSD
> > one.  Depending on what you see, you either directly give a mount command next,
> > to the right partition, or maybe you use bsdlable to find out what the
> > disk-labelling is (if it's a FreeBSD disk).
> >

> Hi Chuck,
>
> The next line in my post after where you snipped was:
>
> (The disk is from another FreeBSD system so is UFS2 and da2s1f is /usr
> on the other system)
>
> It contains a running FBSD 7.0 system - it's out of a spare box I was
> using for testing and it mounts/reads/writes fine using the other USB
> enclosure I borrowed. There's just something screwy about the enclosure
> I've bought (typical eh?)

	Sounds like issues I had with a USB stick that I had from a 5.4
system and tried to put onto a 7.0 system. (Posted in freebsd-current early
April.)I had data integrity issues, couldn't re-format it on the new system,
would mount but as soon as I used it the kernel would panic, etc.

	Bring it back to the 5.4 system, things were peachy.

			Tuc