External USB disk won't mount

Mark Ovens parish at magichamster.com
Wed May 28 18:57:50 UTC 2008

Chuck Robey wrote:
> I saw a mail yesterday about something nearly like this, from nej, except with
> him, the umass device wasn't reporting anything at all, no device when he
> plugged it in.  I sent him a little piece of usb driver code that resets his usb
> buss, just to experiment and see if that got his devices correctly detected, but
> he didn't yet reply, I don't know if it worked for him.  I don't have something
> like that to experiment with.
>
> With yours, you obviously have a da2 ... that only means you have a
> direct-access disk devide #2 being detected.  The next step is to figure oout
> what kind of formatting you have.  Hopefully, it's been fdisk'ed to where it has
> partitions, so do this (as root): "/sbin/fdisk /dev/da2", and in fdisk, give the
> 'p' command, this will print out the formatting for any partitions.  Likely it's
> either one of the various Microsoft things, or a Linux one, or even a FreeBSD
> one.  Depending on what you see, you either directly give a mount command next,
> to the right partition, or maybe you use bsdlable to find out what the
> disk-labelling is (if it's a FreeBSD disk).

Hi Chuck,

The next line in my post after where you snipped was:

(The disk is from another FreeBSD system so is UFS2 and da2s1f is /usr
on the other system)

It contains a running FBSD 7.0 system - it's out of a spare box I was
using for testing and it mounts/reads/writes fine using the other USB
enclosure I borrowed. There's just something screwy about the enclosure
I've bought (typical eh?)

Regards,

Mark