FreeBSD based router ...

Jerry B. Altzman jbaltz at gmail.com
Wed May 28 15:30:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013 at student.uu.se> wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:31:24AM -0400, Jerry B. Altzman wrote:
>> And all this just to *pass packets*; if you're making real *routing*
>> decisions based upon that (i.e. you're making a router rather than a
>> switch), which requires that packets take a trip to the CPU, you'll
>> find yourself coming to the realization that Cisco and Juniper might
>> actually be on to something, there, and that ASICs might actually be
>> worth what you paid for them.
> Yep, and if you do buy a whole bunch of quad-port NICs for your PC, then
> the whole system will probably end up costing quite a bit.  It might even
> turn out to be cheaper to get a "real" router instead.

I don't know about that: Intel quad gigE cards are $250/pop on eBay;
Sun qfe cards are a tenth of that price.
Have you priced Vendor C or Vendor J routers recently? If you're
building a *switch*, you are still price competitive with the bigger
vendors.

Oh yeah, this is all ONLY for passing ethernet; if you've got other
layer-1 technologies to integrate, you're in for a surprise, too.

> Erik Trulsson

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman jbaltz at gmail.com www.jbaltz.com