Setting quotas on nested directories

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue May 27 21:26:39 UTC 2008

In the last episode (May 27), Aaron Holmes said:
> Hello all,
> I want to set quotas on nested directories; ie: /mnt/docs has the
> directories "legal" and "IT"
> I want to limit "legal" to 50GB. How can this be done, if at all?
>  From my googleing, it looks like any filesystems you want to apply
> quotas need to be be 1) in /etc/fstab and 2) mounted

Quotas on UFS are set at either the user- or the group-ID level, not on
directories themselves.  So you could create a group named "legal",
then "chgrp -R legal /mnt/docs/legal", and run "edquota -g legal" to
set a 50GB quota on files in the "legal" group.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/quotas.html describes how
to set up the system to enable quotas.

--
	Dan Nelson