Samba user failed..Corrupt

Christian Zachariasen chrizach at gmail.com
Sat May 24 12:38:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Ruel Luchavez <ruel.freebsd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Regards to ALL,
>
> Guys do you have an idea how to fix this?
> Every time I add this user in my samba it always got an error:
>
> #smbpasswd -a John
> New SMB password=xxxxx
> Retype password=xxxxx
> build_sam_account: sambapasswd database is corrupt! username Joh with uid
> 1001 is not in unix passwd database!
> add_smbfilepwd_entry: entry with name John already exists
> Failed to add entry for user John
> Failed to modify password entry for user John
>
> >From what i know the server declare that the user is existing, BUT i have
> already remove the user (rmuser -y ruel)
>
> Idea pleaseeeee..I'm stock with this..or is this a BUGS?
> Thanks in advance

You say you have already rmuser'd John from your system, but in your post
you wrote rmuser -y ruel. I'm assuming this is a spelling mistake. I've
never seen this error before and wasn't able to reproduce it on my system,
but this is what I'd do:

If we assume the user name you want to add is actually John, then rmuser -y
John first of all.
Make a backup of /usr/local/etc/samba/smbpasswd and then delete the
smbpasswd file.
Type adduser and add John as you normally would, then type smbpasswd -a
John.

Christian Zachariasen