Bind DNS

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Fri May 23 22:28:05 UTC 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 9:10 PM, Ruel Luchavez wrote:

> Hi ALL,
>
> Is it possible in BIND DNS to block images in a certain sites? like
> for
> example the popular friends site ( friendster),
> i want to block most images in that site so that client will be
> irritated
> that their images don't load perfectly. but s till
> they can visit their site?

DNS is not the right level to be doing that unless you know that the
images are actually served from a different server than the other
content on the site (which is unlikely).

An HTTP proxy, Squid in particular, will be the right tool.  About a
year ago, I saw a description where someone had put in a filter in
Squid to blur or rotate all images.  The screen shots of that where
hilarious, but I can't remember exactly where this was posted.

Cheers,

-j