[SOLVED] Routing to internet addresses ending with 255

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Fri May 16 12:26:10 UTC 2008

Manolis Kiagias wrote:

>>> all these systems are behind ADSL routers and use NAT. Their
>>> internal addresses are in the 192.168.0.X range.
>>> I could easily consider this a problem of the (cheap) ADSL routers,
>>> but  6
>>
>> very likely. yesterday i configured chinese 5 WLAN/LAN
>> switch/routers, it looks like it's software was written by someone
>> during single lunch break ;)
>>
>> i found 2 bugs not even searching much. but - as just a LAN/WLAN
>> bridges they work fine.
>
> I too, am very well aware of the "quality" of these systems :)
>>
>>> and 7 use the same model (OTOH, there may be different firmware
>>> versions).
>>
>> but WHAT are external IP's of these routers. this is important.
>>
>> if the "problem" host is A.B.C.255 check if routers external IP isn't
>> A.B.C.something
>
> No, I just checked again with DynDNS update logs and all three routers
> had very different IP addresses at the time I was trying.

Checking with the internal log of the router confirmed the suspicions of
people answering my question: The adsl router is responsible for the
problem with the 255 address. It seems it cuts out these addresses as
some kind of "attack". No changes in configuration (firewall, protection
and so on) on the router itself disables it. It seems I will have to
live with it ;) Oh well...