Does FBSD 7 support 802.11N cards? G suggestions?

Walter walterk1 at earthlink.net
Thu May 15 19:28:59 UTC 2008

Doh!!  Did it again.  Sorry about that Roland.

Roland Smith wrote:

>On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 06:54:53AM -0500, Walter wrote:
>

>I'm talking about "The Cutting Edge"
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html
>

>>It's a crap shoot?
>>

>That's about the size of it.
>

>>Yikes.
>>

>Indeed.
>

>>I guess I'll just pick one and take
>>my chances, but - no fault to FBSD - it appears to be a sorry
>>state of affairs in the computer driver arena.
>>

>More and more chipsets are being supported on BSD, with OpenBSD leading
>the way. But it remains difficult to see which chipset is used in a
>card. Manufacturers hardly ever list it in their docs.
>

>>I can guess
>>the latest rev listed on the support web site is what I'll get
>>when I buy the box?? (Maybe not, as I got a rev A router
>>last December when the latest was rev B.)
>>

>Usually there is a sticker on the packaging that says "model FOO
>rev. X". or something like that.
>

>>Later I'll work
>>on getting the driver downloaded and unpacked on my
>>Windows machine (as my Mac won't process those .exe
>>files).
>>

>You could try unzip. Some of those exe files are self-extracting ZIP ziles.
>

>>Did I read that there's a way to use Windows drivers in FBSD 7?
>>

>Yes. It's called ndis(4). Only works on i386 architecture though, not amd64.
>
>Do realize that you're sticking a piece of windows software of unknown
>quality in your _kernel_.
>
>Roland

Thanks, Roland.  I ended up using ndis and after a little hunting
around for instructions I got WPA running so it connects to my
COTS wireless router from the FBSD7 machine with the Buffalo
'BCM43XNG 802.11n Network Adapter'.

Not too much trouble, really, once you figure out what to do.  I'll
reply to my original post asking for help on that card (which got
no replies).

I will be using the machine mainly for a router so I don't mind -
I hope I don't regret saying this - that a Windows driver is in the
kernel.

Thanks.  I appreciate the responses, which keep me on track and
help me know I'm not crazy. (Well, maybe just a little bit.)

Walter