interrobang and other fun characters

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Wed May 14 23:51:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:25:37PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:

> I'm looking for an easier way to insert interrobangs and other non-ASCII
> characters (em-dashes, et cetera) into text on my FreeBSD laptop than by
> way of copy/paste.  Any recommendations?  A hunt-and-select clicky GUI
> probably wouldn't be any better than just copy/paste, but something like
> holding down Alt while typing 8253 might be an improvement.

You can get multibyte characters in vim, if $TERM is something
sensible like xterm and you use a font with the characters in it. See:

:help dig

in vim. E.g:

^k DG -> ° (degree)
^k Cu -> € (euro) (in: iso8859-15)
^k Co -> © (company)
^k o: -> ö (o umlaut)

You can also call them by number but I find the 2 characters easier to
remember.

Use xfd(1) and xlsfonts(1) to see which fonts have which characters. I
always use an iso8859-15 font because it's got the Euro.

Regards,

--

 Frank