major CD errors when installing 7.0 (only 7.0)!

Julien Cigar jcigar at ulb.ac.be
Wed May 14 07:19:56 UTC 2008

I have this problem too ... the only solution I've found is to disable
DMA (hw.ata.atapi_dma). It partially resolve the problem, but it's still
impossible to burn and performance are very poor (~ 2MB/s), etc ...

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 22:30 -0400, Joachim Rosenfeld wrote:
> I decided to upgrade my PC at home to FreeBSD 7.0, I've been running
> it at work and on my work laptop with no problems.
>
> But when I installed via the 7.0 disk 1, I received CD errors when I
> got to the point where it started copying the base distribution off
> the disk.
>
> When I booted off the same CD again, I saw something similar to the following:
>
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=... ascq=...
>
> At first I assumed that it was my CD ROM drive (which has never given
> any problems) or a bad  CD, so I burned a FreeBSD 7.0 LiveDisk and
> tried that, same thing. I burned 7.0-bootonly from a different
> machine, and I got the same problem.
>

> The odd thing is that my 6.1 and 6.3 bootdisks don't have this error
> on startup  (I confirmed that it is an issue on 7.0 by burning a brand
> new 6.3 disk and was able to install successfully).
>
> Clearly 7.0 causes something to barf on my CDROM drive.
>
> A web search for this error shows various people have had this problem
> on 4.6, 5.3, etc.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Joe
Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform
http://www.biodiversity.be
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Campus de la Plaine CP 257
Bâtiment NO, Bureau 4 N4 115C (Niveau 4)
Boulevard du Triomphe, entrée ULB 2
B-1050 Bruxelles
Mail: jcigar at ulb.ac.be
@biobel: http://biobel.biodiversity.be/person/show/471