installing php4 and php5 on one machine

Zbigniew Szalbot z.szalbot at lc-words.com
Mon May 12 14:54:42 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I am using FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p1. The machine has PHP 5.2.6 with
Suhosin-Patch 0.9.6.2 (cli). We're going to host one of our sites which
currently is hosted by our ISP. This site requires php4 to work before
it gets rewritten or dumped. Anyway, my current BSD machine is a
dedicated one so I can do with it what I like but I am not really sure
how to go about installing two versions of php. php5 has been installed
from ports and works well.

How would you advise me to go about installing php4? I do not think I
will be able to do it from ports (it will require an ancient version of
php 4.10). Also I do not want to mix dependencies and such. Another
issue is how to host the site. Use a different port for it (*:8080)? Use
jails (never been in jail so no experience with it so far ;)?

I do have several IPs to play with so I can use them if that helps.

I'd appreciate your opinion about it. Many thanks to you all in advance!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.lc-words.com