Dowloading entire source code

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sun May 11 15:12:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008 19:09:03 +0530
Onkar <onkar.n.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a newbie  to FreeBSD . I want ot downlod entire FreeBSD source
> code for reference. Please let me know how do i go about it.

Welcome to FreeBSD Onkar! ;-)

While installing from CD, you have the option to extract the source
code. If you've already installed FreeBSD and your /usr/src is empty
or non-existent, you could always login as 'root', and re-run the
installer with:

# /usr/sbin/sysinstall

Then go to "Configure" (Do post-install configuration of FreeBSD),
then "Distribution" (Install additional distribution sets), and
then check "src" (Sources for everything). You could figure out
the rest yourself. ;)

The sources you'll get will be unpacked under /usr/src and can
be used to recompile the system (kernel and base system) as
described in the Handbook.

Later, you may want to upgrade your system. Typically, you'll
use 'csup' (/usr/bin/csup) to fetch the newest sources from
one of the FreeBSD CVSUP mirrors. This will update your sources
in /usr/src. Then you'll compile everything into /usr/obj
(a temporary holding area) as described in the Handbook (have
a look at /usr/src/UPDATING, near the end), and move the
compiled binaries from /usr/obj to where they belong (again:
see the Handbook).

> regards,
> Onkar

-cpghost.