Installing Xfce4: Request for help

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Sat May 10 19:35:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:07:15PM +0530, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying in install Xfce4 in FreeBSD 7.0 on my laptop. I try to use
> the ports by saying:
>
> -----
> # cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4
> # make install clean
> -----
>
> But then I get the following error:
>
> -----
> ===>  Installing for xfce-4.4.2
> ===>   xfce-4.4.2 depends on file:
> /usr/local/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins/ui_plugin.so - found
> ===>   xfce-4.4.2 depends on executable: xfwm4 - not found
> ===>    Verifying install for xfwm4 in /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4-wm
> ===>  Patching for xfce4-wm-4.4.2
> ===>  Applying extra patch
> /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4-wm/files/extrapatch-src__events.c
> Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
> 1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to src/events.c.rej
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4-wm.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4-wm.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4.
> -----
>
> I am clueless. Could somebody help?

Try running a make clean in x11-wm/xfce4-wm and have another go - it looks
like some kind of artefact from a previous, unsuccessful attempt to
build it.

portsclean, part of the portupgrade package, can help with things like
this - run portsclean -CDD every so often to keep your workdirs clean,
and to remove distfiles for ports that aren't installed.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _