does make buildworld/buildkernel require you to root

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed May 7 09:16:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 07 May 2008 01:57:28 -0400, "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
> does make buildworld/buildkernel require you to root?  I know installX
> does but build?

No, building everything does not require superuser rights.

I usually build my src/ snapshots as 'build', at /home/build, by
something similar to:

    # su - build
    build$ MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/home/build/obj ; export MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX
    build$ rm -fr obj/*
    build$ cd src
    build$ ( make buildworld && make buildkernel ) 2>&1 | tee ~/logfile

There are a few places where the build path is recorded, i.e. in the
output of uname

    # uname -v
    FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Mon May  5 00:43:56 EEST 2008     build at kobe:/home/build/obj/home/build/src/sys/KOBE

but other than this, there should be nothing that prevents you from
building as any non-root user.