Ports/Packages Philosophy

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 6 20:08:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 10:21:33AM -0700, Dsiuh Djsids wrote:
> I am interested to know what some of your software
> installing/updating philosophies are regarding ports/packages
> on either a server or a home desktop. For example, how often do
> you update your software and when you do, do you run something
> like 'portupgrade -a' or individually take care of each piece
> of software?

Daily "portupgrade -a" with 1500+ packages installed on my laptop
is more refreshing than reading slashdot with a cup of coffee.
For real opinions look through the recent archives of this list,
your question has come up surprisingly often in the last few
weeks.