Question about a recent installation

Mario Vazquez mario_vazq at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 22:21:59 UTC 2008

I have been using different Linux distributions for some years, and decided to give FreeBSD a try.  The install was successful, but have a question about how the root account is made.  Found that the root folder was created with the user/group privileges root:wheel.  Is not that a kind of security risk?  I know that usually only the account used by the administrator is the one, in addition to root, that belongs to the wheel group.  But also I know that sometimes admins get lazy and give for limited time extra privileges just to allow someone to do something, and that's where the danger can come.  Btw, that's just my opinion.