Installing PERL modules from CPAN (instead of ports)

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 4 16:23:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 07:21:57PM -0400, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> In order to setup postfwd (http://postfwd.org), of which there is no FreeBSD
> port, several PERL modules are required; one of them, Net::DNS::Async, also
> does not exist as a FreeBSD port.  If I install this via CPAN, postfwd works,
> but then this breaks portupgrade and portmanager when trying to update perl
> or keep track of new versions of the bsdpan-* "packages".  Is there another
> way to go about this outside of trying to create my own postfwd and
> Net::DNS::Async ports?

Try to request help on perl at FreeBSD.org (cc'ed). Perl ports are
usually very easy to create and maintain, so if you don't want to
spend 30 minutes learning, someone with enough experience can
probably do it in a couple of minutes if you ask nicely :)

Yes, making a new port is the easiest way to install something
from CPAN.