OpenOffice 2.3

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd at milibyte.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 15:51:08 PDT 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008, Nikola Lečić wrote:

> According to what can be read on the page I sent with my previous
> mail, it seems to be a GTK-related issue. I confirm that all 7-stable
> OpenOffice packages (including 2.3.1_1) work perfectly on my plain
> 7.0-RELEASE/i386 install, but with *up-to-date* ports, not with
> precompiled packages shipped as a part of the release. So,
>
> 1) Update your ports, and don't forget ports/UPDATING;
> 2) Try OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome if you're using KDE.

Unfortunately building OpenOffice from ports on my underpowered Duron
1600 system isn't an option until I treat myself to a hardware upgrade.
My ports are up to date, but upgraded with portupgrade -P to use
packages where possible. I did once try to build OpenOffice from ports
last year on my 6.3 system but it came up with a compile error after
about 3 days continuous compiling so I fell back to using a package
instead - that version (2.3.1) is still running fine on 6.3. Looks like
I need to keep my dual boot 6.3 / 7.0 setup for a while longer yet.

I note that the discussion on
<http://www.nabble.com/Re:-GLib-GObject-CRITICAL-td13904374.html>
suggests that the problem is amd64 specific but this doesn't appear to
be the case - I'm running an i386 system.

--
Mike Clarke