hplip setup problems

Isaac Mushinsky itz at mushinsky.net
Thu Mar 27 07:22:25 PDT 2008

Anish Mistry (the port maintainer) has answered below. It seems that this is
a printer defect after all then. I'll try to patch the code to fill in the
missing serial id with some fake string, and shall report if I get the thing
to work.

Is the hp backend the only entry point to libusb, or should I have to patch
libusb? e.g. cups or sane apps, can they call libusb directly, or only
through hpaio backend? I would rather have a patch to hplip distribution
only, because libusb correctly throws an error code for the missing serial
id. But if some apps query the device directly, the missing serial id may be
a problem, they will all have to all be patched separately.