Working /etc/pam.d/sshd file with pam_ldap 6.3 or 7.0 ?

Brian A. Seklecki bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com
Tue Mar 25 07:41:44 PDT 2008

The problem is that the PAM libraries provide a shit-fuck-ass-worthless
debug mechanisms.  This only eclipsed by the terribly organized
information on LDAP+NSS+PAM for FreeBSD on the web.

The file is the same for pam.d/system and /usr/local/etc/pam.d/sudo.
Please put this on the OpenLDAP / PADL Wiki somewhere:

seklecki at fucksake:/home/seklecki$ more /etc/pam.d/sshd

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.d/sshd,v 1.15 2003/04/30 21:57:54 markm Exp $
#
# PAM configuration for the "sshd" service
#

# auth
#auth           required        pam_nologin.so          no_warn
#auth           sufficient      pam_opie.so             no_warn
no_fake_prompts
#auth           requisite       pam_opieaccess.so       no_warn
allow_local
#auth           sufficient      pam_krb5.so             no_warn
try_first_pass
#auth           sufficient      pam_ssh.so              no_warn
try_first_pass
auth            sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so
auth            required        pam_unix.so             no_warn
try_first_pass

# account
#account        required        pam_krb5.so
account         required        pam_login_access.so
account         required       /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so
ignore_authinfo_unavail ignore_unknown_user
account         required        pam_unix.so

# session
#session        optional        pam_ssh.so
session         required        pam_permit.so
session         sufficient      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so no_warn
try_first_pass

# password
#password       sufficient      pam_krb5.so             no_warn
try_first_pass
password        required        pam_unix.so             no_warn
try_first_pass
#password         required      /usr/local/lib/pam_ldap.so no_warn
try_first_pass

Also try:

$ grep -i debug /usr/local/etc/ldap.conf
#debug 1
$ grep -i debug /usr/local/etc/nss_ldap.conf
#debug 1

Higher levels for fun.

~BAS

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 15:34 +0100, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Hello
>
> I can't get a working sshd access using pam_ldap and nss_ldap
>
> /etc/nsswitch.conf is OK
>
> but I'm having difficulties to configure pam_ldap for a ssh access
> on a machine ( 6.3 or 7.0 ) ... I have been trying a lot to configure
> the /etc/pam.d/sshd file but haven't any success (sigh!)
>
> Anyone could helps ?
>
> Thanks a lot !

Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com>
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.