VPN setup with OpenVPN (was: mpd pptp server?)

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sun Mar 23 20:41:59 PDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:45:57PM +0100, Jon Theil Nielsen wrote:
> 2008/3/23, Alex de Kruijff <freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl>:
> > On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:43:58AM +0100, Jon Theil Nielsen wrote:
> > > I have tried some different ways to make a working VPN server on FreeBSD
> > 7.0.
> > > The main goal is to make it possible for Windows clients to access their
> > > Samba home shares. I'm not sure if mpd is the best solution, but I will
> > give
> > > it a try.
> > > I have installed /usr/ports/mpd4 and have the following configuration:
> >
> > I run openvpn on FreeBSD and Windows XP.
> >
> I have now succeeded in establishing connections from Windows to a VPN
> server based on mpd4. But it has some severe limitations: I have to define
> every single connection in the conf file (not a major problem). And I don't
> see any option to authenticate against neither UNIX or Samba passwords. Is
> that different through openvpn? Could you give some brief hints on the
> configuration or maybe a reference to a useful howto?

Giving you the program name ought to be enove of a hint.
http://www.google.com/search?q=openvpn
The openvpn site has a very nice howto.

I can tell you the setup I have. I don't authenticate against UNIX or
Samba passwords. I don't see what good it will do to require such
autentication. It might even post a security risk. It might be posible.

I do use certificates (standard) so I can cut off machines. Users need
to authenticate when the connect to the services of a machine. I have
a firewall on each computer.

I have a VPN tunnel beteen sites and a road warrior setup for laptops.
And I have a setup that allows me to take a server down without
disrupting traffic flow beteen sites.
--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.

Howtos based on my personal use, including information about
setting up a firewall and creating traffic graphs with MRTG
http://alex.kruijff.org/FreeBSD/