I'd like some help

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Mar 22 16:02:57 PDT 2008

> I've been learning about a bunch of the BSD OSes, and i want to try Free
> BSD, but i can't figure out how to download it and the instructions don't
> make sense. I am running Windows XP OS- can you tell me how to download
> Free BSD with it?

The easiest method is probably to download CD-ROM images as per instructions
at:

   http://www.freebsd.org/where.html

More specifically for amd64 (if you have one of the newer 64 bit computers)
you have:

   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/7.0/

Or for i386 (older 32 bit):

   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.0/

DIsc 1
(ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/7.0/7.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
and
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.0/7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
respectively) are enough to install the operating system directly from CD.

For actually burning the images onto a physical CD, you would have to use
whichever CD burning software you have in Windows XP.

Make sure you consult the FreeBSD handbook in relation to installation and
aftewards:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

I don't know if this made any more sense than what you have already read. If
things are unclear, please clarify what part you are having trouble will!

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org