Anyone have Comcast for an ISP?

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Sat Mar 22 02:27:17 PDT 2008

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]
Now, I do know that cable and DSL modems are quite different but I am
able to log into my Qwest DSL modem and
open the port 25, port 80 or any other port for that matter. I live in
Arizona so Qwest and Comcast are more or less only two choices for the
residential ISP.

I had Sandmail server running for about a week but as I do not have
static IP address, Domain Name, MX
record and Reverse DNS there was no point keeping it as the mail would
bounce from most mail servers.
Getting static IP address is no big deal as well as Domain Name and
setting up MX record but I think Qwest
does not provide reverse DNS to residential accounts. They charge $26.95
+ $6 (7Mps) for static IP for residential accounts. Essentially the
equivalent  "business" account is about $90 and they do provide reverse
DNS as well. I think one has to sign some kind liability agreement for
business account in the case your mail server becomes spam zombie.
In reality you really have to run ClamAv and SpamAssassin beside
Sendmail which was really overkill just for
my wife and me (my daughters are too small for email accounts).

I use IMAP and SMTP (Thunderbird client) ro recover mail from my
University mail box. Qwest people were also nice to me after they
realized that I do not care much for their Windows live and Hotmail
account and offer me free of charge
5 email accounts on their mail server.

I think that the Comcast is doing something similar so you could use
Mutt, Pine, or whatever email client you like to recover mail from your
mail box on Comcast email server. I would not be surprised that they
also run FreeBSD.

Cheers,
Predrag Punosevac