mtree

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Mar 21 13:37:45 PDT 2008

Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> writes:

> 	I know mtree can be used to describe a directory layout, and
> then to re-create that structure.  Is there a place where this is
> described?

I figured out everything I wanted to know from the manual page.  It's
a pretty good manual -- the reason it gives people trouble is just
that there are so *many* different things it can do.

In the "EXAMPLES" section of its manual, there is a formula for how to
"create an /etc/mtree style BSD.*.dist file" which is the first half
of what you want.  Offhand, I think "mtree -U" is enough to mash
everything back to the way the original specification described.