Various X errors (difficult to see)

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Fri Mar 21 10:36:40 PDT 2008

At 11:14 AM 3/21/2008, Luca Presotto wrote:

> >You should run startx and redirect the output to a file and check the
> >errors and then try to fix them.  To do this try:
>
> >startx >/tmp/somexerrorlogfile 2>&1
>
>Done that!
>Here-s the first error(s):
>
>DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
>DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
>Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
>kbuildsycoca running...
>DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
>kbuildsycoca running...
>DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
>Reusing existing ksycoca
>
>Is it something wrong in /etc/hosts??

It could be your /etc/hosts or /etc/hosts.allow or you may need to add:
  -listen_tcp

to your startx commandline.

>Then I get lots of line(130!) like :
>
>kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop'
>specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
>kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop'
>specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/zip'
>kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop'
>specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-7z'
>kbuildsycoca: WARNING:
>'/usr/local/share/applications/themus-theme-applier.desktop' specifies
>undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-gnome-theme-installed'

These messages are errors telling you the window manager cannot manage
these mimetypes.  Did you remove any ports for handling these types of
archive files?

>Then finally:
>
>DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
>Launched ok, pid = 1283
>ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1222, errno = 0
>There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...
>
>Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
>        If you are sure it is not already running, remove the relevant files:
>
>        /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_SoundServerV2
>        /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_SoundServer
>        /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
>        /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
>        /tmp/ksocket-Luca/Arts_AudioManager

This error refers to the artsd daemon already running, or the system thinks
this daemon is running.  You should open a terminal window and do:
ps -ax|grep -i art

and see if the artsd daemon is running or not.  If it is not, you may need
to force it to start.

>Then, every time I launch a program that open a new window I get:
>
>X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
>   Major opcode:  19
>   Minor opcode:  0
>   Resource id:  0x600006

When you say "every time you launch a program"  how exactly are you trying
to launch a program?

The error is complaining about passing a bad parameter, so if you are
launching the program just through your window manager, you must have a bad
configuration file.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.