tsocks not working with firefox

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Thu Mar 20 17:25:02 PDT 2008

Hi.

I'm setting up a ssh tunnel to a secure server for my surfing.  If I
configure firefox to use the appropriate proxy directly (i.e.
localhost:8080 in socks under firefox preferences) it works as
expected.  I have set up /etc/tsocks.conf to send everything to
localhost:8080 as in all the examples on the net (as well as tried
/usr/local/etc/tsocks.conf), but when I use tsocks firefox, my proxy
at 8080 is not used and the local internet connection is.  I get no
errors on stdout, etc.  What could be wrong?

Thanks,
Steve