Odd aliasing question

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Thu Mar 20 13:50:37 PDT 2008

I've looked but found no examples to give me confidence. While I have
lots of servers running alias IPs the IPs are all on the same network.
I've have been informed by my network admin that we will need to change
the IPs of our legacy name servers (we are just dragging them along for
a time, new name servers are up and domains are being moved to them).

Currently the IP of ns2 is 208.252.191.2, this needs to change to
65.123.104.25. The network admin is telling me he will have the router
for that NOC cage handle both IPs no problems. However I need to
continue answering the old IP until clients can get their equipment
reconfigured.

Can I alias 208.252.191.2 once I change the NIC's IP to 65.123.104.25
with a default route of 65.123.104.1?

What netmask would use for the alias line?

This seems not possible to me, but you can learn something new everyday...

Thanks,

DAve
--
Google finally, after 7 years, provided a logo for
veterans. Thank you Google. What to do with my signature now?