dedicated server specs / 7.0-Release

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 09:33:49 PDT 2008

Hello,

2008/3/20, Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net>:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:42:38 +0100
>
> "Zbigniew Szalbot" <zszalbot at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > In a some cases it might be smarter to go for "better" drives (made for
>  > > operating 24/7).
>  > >  That being said, I've often used shitty drives myself on servers that have
>  > > been up for ages at a time.
>  >
>  > Right! It will be used for hosting a couple of domains and quite
>  > extensive email service. I was planning to use the second HD to
>  > replicate data in case of emergency.
>

> are you getting any kind of out-of-band access to the server? ie, serial
>  console, ilo/DRAC card  ?
>
>  For certain server use, I would spend $ on that rather than a hardware RAID
>  card (but would use software RAID if I cared about the data in the server...)
>
>  if you don't have that, discuss with your DC about what they can provide in an
>  emergency - ie, sometimes I've just opened a ticket to get a console attached
>  for a few hours (when I setup some extra software RAID and need to drop to
>  console, for example), but don't have one attached ALL the time.
>
>  Again, depends on what you want to spend...but it's important that you think of
>  those things in advance and know which path to take to resolve issues that may
>  arise.

Right - I am sure they will be able to offer something. They are not
very big but very flexible. We have been with them for sometime and
we're happy about their service so that's why we are moving to a
dedicated service. They would normally offer us a complete
(configured) Fedora to use but I have grown to appreciate FreeBSD and
don't want to stop using it. So they said they could make an initial
install for us and then we would be on our own with the server.

I am thinking now, with two identical drives - at which point should I
be making gmirror? I have yet reading to do but I am trying to picture
now where this process fit in? After you install the OS or while
installing it?

Would serial console mean I would be able to install FBSD remotely
just as if I was there looking at the screen? Sorry, in many ways I am
still a very basic user but I want to learn/I need to learn, I read
this list and save some threads which I think I may at some point find
helpful. But many thanks for further advice!

All the best,

--
Zbigniew Szalbot