IMAP quandry... .

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Mar 20 14:07:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:09:10 -0800
Gary Kline <kline at magnesium.net> wrote:

> 	<QUOTE>
> 	Sending failed:
> 	Your SMTP server does not support PLAIN. Choose a different authentication method. The server responded: "5.7.0 authentication failed"
> 	The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder.
> 	The following transport protocol was used: aristotle.thought.org
> 	Do you want me to continue sending the remaining messages?
> 	</QUOTE>

Hi Gary,
i think you may be confusing IMAP (get email and manage folders,etc) with SMTP
(send email).
from the message above, it seems that the plain text auth method is not
supported (anymore?) by your smtp server. And therefore it failed to
authenticate you.... it doesn't *necessarily* mean the password changed - it
could be the server got upgraded and the new default is to not accept
auth in PLAIN (ie, now it wants CRAM5, TLS, etc).

The best way to see what happens is to run ethereal (or tcpdump...) and see
exactly what the server is answering back - i don't trust what the mail
software reports..in most cases the server messages are crammed into a few
pre-packaged options that obscure the real issue.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to
frighten you." Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Warned.