OT: brother hl-5250dn here.

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 19 13:44:44 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:54:43AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	Ihave my new printer here, hooked into my hub/switch.  What next?
> 	How to configure it to get a DHCP lease.  I just rebooted my
> 	pfSense firewall and do not see any new leases!

Out of the box my HL-5250DN got a lease from dhcpd on my FreeBSD 6.2
system.

The 5250 network manual says if it can't find a DHCP server then it will
pick an address in the range of 169.254.1.0 to 169.254.254.255. If for
some reason APIPA is disabled it will select 192.0.0.192.

Modern hub/switches are wonderful for their purchase price and value
received, but often have problems of their own. Often helps to power
cycle a switch when moving connectors around

If pfSense is configured to issue IP addresses via DHCP and isn't
issuing one to the printer, then suspect something else issued an IP
address. If there is any possible path between your printer and cable or
DSL modem then suspect the modem issued (or refused to issue) and IP
address.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net