bsdlabel, now no boot

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 19 11:07:59 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:31:18AM -0400, Walker wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:26 PM, David Kelly <dkelly at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> >
> >  System is now booting ad0 by starting at ad4 and hopping to ad6,
> >  then to ad0.
>
> Yes, you've discovered a "feature" of the 400SC (I have 3).  If you
> have PATA and SATA disks installed:
>
> SATA disabled in BIOS -> PATA boots
> SATA enabled in BIOS -> SATA boots, and stops if it can't (PATA never
> attempted)
>
> The best work around is to install a boot loader on your SATA HD to
> point to the PATA HD.

Yes, thats what is running now. Sadly I've already recycled the two SATA
drives that came out and don't remember how they were configured that
the PATA drive booted. Know I have used boot0cfg(8) in the past but
don't recall if it was on this system. Using boot0cfg one can set the
timeout to 0 so that the drive immediately hops to the next.

However I'm thinking the Dell BIOS ignores the SATA drives during boot
if the MBR is zeroed. With virgin SATA drives installed and enabled but
not yet labeled the system booted off the PATA drive.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net