FreeBSD 7.0 nvidia-driver woes

Mark Ovens parish at magichamster.com
Wed Mar 19 11:07:00 PDT 2008

Darren Spruell wrote:
> During attempted startup and when using CTRL+ALT+BKSP to kill the
> server the Xorg process drives CPU usage to 100%:
>
> PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> 1203 root          1 118    0 28168K 23960K CPU1   1   1:21 100.00% Xorg

I have exactly the same problem with an ATI card (radeonhd driver)
except that the STATE of Xorg is *GIANT and recently I've seen CPU usage
figure exceed 400% - yes *four* hundred!!

In my search for a solution I've found someone with the same problem
with a Matrox card.

I've come to the conclusion that Xorg 7.3 is a crock - at least on
FreeBSD - since I've never had some many problems under any previous
version of Xorg, or XFree86. Is it possible to install Xorg 7.2 on
FreeBSD 7.0?

> FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2,
> should be 1; fixing.

Hmm, I see this too (although I think it is freetype on my box, not
misc) - any idea what it means?

Regards,

Mark