pptpd server on a Samba PDC

Jon Theil Nielsen jontheil at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 17:53:11 UTC 2008

> Yes, this configuration guide you've read is for Linux, thus it will
> use pppd by Paul Mackeras. pppd is in the base system(/usr/sbin/pppd),
> but it's an older version than the Linux one, since most people on FreeBSD
> use user-ppp(/usr/sbin/ppp). So, bad news first:
> pppd probably won't work(at least won't work by copying
> a configuration file you've found on the internet). I have many
> doubts that FreeBSD's pppd can be used with pptp.
>
> The good news are, that poptop is supported(it's in the ports),
> you just have to use user-ppp(which you seem to already use, since
> the name of the process above is ppp). Isn't the pptp entry on
> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, installed from the port???
> Did you search the package for configuration samples?
>

> > Does anyone have a working example of poptop-based vpn server
>

> The pptp server/client of preference for a FreeBSD system, is in my humble
> opinion net/mpd. I suggest you to use that. There many guides on "pptp
> and mpd" lying around on the net.
>
> HTH, Nikos

Okay, I tried to install mpd, but now i doesn't seem to work

===============/usr/local/etc/mpd/mpd.conf========
default:
load pptp1

pptp1:
new -i ng0 pptp1 pptp1
set iface disable on-demand
set iface enable proxy-arp
set iface idle 0
set iface enable tcpmssfix
set bundle enable multilink
set link yes acfcomp protocomp
set link no pap chap
set link enable chap
set link keep-alive 10 60
set ipcp yes vjcomp
set ipcp ranges 192.168.1.4/32 192.168.1.151/32
set ipcp dns 192.168.1.4
set ipcp nbns 192.168.1.4
set link disable pap
set bundle enable compression
set ccp yes mppc
#set ccp yes mpp-e40
set ccp yes mpp-e128
set ccp yes mpp-stateless
#set bundle enable crypt-reqd

===============/usr/local/etc/mpd/mpd.linksf========
pptp1:
set link type pptp      ## define the link type protocol as PPTP
set pptp self 192.168.1.4        ## define the IP address  on which MPD will
run
set pptp enable incoming      ## define the connection as Incoming
set pptp disable originate     ## enables PPTP connection for communication
with the client

mpd_enable="YES"
gateway_enable="YES"
And a /usr/local/etc/mpd/mpd.secret is also there.
I can start the service, but don't see any port 1793 by typing netstat -an
And ifconfig doesn't show any pptp1
Are there any obvious errors in this configuration?

Regards,
Jon