[FreeBSD 7] Radeon Mobility M10/9600 + xorg 7.3 + ati/radeon driver causes complete system hang/freeze

Torgeir Hoffmann twhoffma at student.matnat.uio.no
Mon Mar 17 20:40:30 UTC 2008

On beforehand, I appologize for sending a rather incomplete mail regarding
this last week, I hope with this new information that I can find a clue on
how to debug or solve this problem.

I have the following problems with my xorg 7.3 installation, even after I
have pkg_delete -a, and reinstalled all with packages. The system was
updated with freebsd-update from 6.3-release to 7.0-release.

My problem has the following characteristics:

  * Whenever I start xorg with startx and the radeon/ati-driver, the
system will become unresponsive, and cold reboot is the only way to
escape the lock.

  * xorg will start fine using the 'vesa' driver.

  * On a system-freeze, there is no logging - at all. Nothing in
dmesg/messages or in Xorg.0.log.

  * I had no problems with xorg 7.2/7.3 on my 6.3-release system.

  * dmesg report:
     drm0
-> Is it normal that it reports 256 MB, when I have a 64MB graphics card?

For you convenience, the config-/log-files can be found at:
  * dmesg: http://pastebin.com/m47427876

  * Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/m13673d99

  * xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/m52dab34b

any help will be greatly appreciated!