That age old question again

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Mar 17 15:42:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:18:27AM +1000, Robert Chalmers wrote:

> Not quite but close.
> On the front page of FreeBSD.org, is the download links for
> LATEST RELEASES
>   a.. Production Release 7.0
> Which I'm assuming is the latest, and commercially useable version.
>
> Now I still find the situation of CURRENT, STABLE as they relate to RELEASE
> slightly confusing, and no amount of description seems to clear it up.
>
> Ok, I understand CURRENT is developmental, and becomes the next major
> version as stated below. So the next major version is the one on the
> website? Release 7.0 - or, 7.0-RELEASE ...yes/no?
>
> Then 7.0-STABLE continues the work to be the bugfix/security blah blah tree.
>
> The question I have is:  For the Production Release shown above -
> 7.0-RELEASE, what is the cvsup tag to keep this version updated ??

Kind of the easiest thing to do is trim the tag for how much less
security you want.    7.0-RELEASE gets you just that.
  7 a little more fluid and HEAD is bleeding edge - is CURRENT for 7.xx.

So,    tag=RELENG_7_0      I think only security fixes
       tag=RELENG_7        security fixes and stable upgrades
       tag=.               latest additions and fixes and experiments

I am a little more foggy about how the next major (8.xx) fits in to
the tag values.

////jerry