7.0 crashes

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 17 00:53:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 01:08:44AM +0100, Firas Kraiem wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> The NIC in question is a Realtek 8139 and indeed, Google told me that a
> few people have been experiencing similar issues with it. However, that
> was with old (4.x/5.x) FreeBSD releases, so I'm wondering: is this
> particular NIC model still causing problems or is it the NIC breaking
> in some way? The reason I ask is that the machine is a dedicated server
> over which I have no hardware control, so asking the provider to
> replace the NIC with another model could be a bit bothersome.

Read the BUGS section of rl(4) and weep. It seems to be a case of poorly
documented or defined behavior on the part of the chip.

Having said that, I've used rl(4) based network cards in workstations
without problems. But then my outbound line is 2 mbit ADSL, which won't
even come close to seriously loading the hardware.

Roland