Wireless AP FreeBSD 7.0

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sun Mar 16 20:42:01 UTC 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 21:07:53 Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> my question is Does FreeBSD 7.0 Have ALTQ and pf enabled by default?
> or do Ihave to compile that support in the kernel

pf, yes. Altq, not on 6.x, don't know if that's changed and can't check my 7.x
system atm. See man altq when in doubt.

> Here is the HOWTO I am following to setup a Small office Samba File
> Server / Wireless AP
> http://tun0.net/ascii/config/freebsd_access_point/howtoforge-freebsd_wirele
>ss.html
>
> if anyone knows of a more current HOWTO please let me know

Hmm, it's quite outdated, but most things will work.
I don't see the reason for using pfsync on a small home network with only 1
gateway to the net, so you can leave that out.
You don't need bind9 port, cause FreeBSD has bind 9 in base for quite a while.
Wlan layers will be loaded automically, when a driver is loaded that needs
them, so no need for them to be loaded in loader.conf.
The table in the pf config has no name, not very good practice and not sure if
that'll work.
The pf config also doesn't define any queues, so compiling in altq isn't
necessary with the config given there.

Before you do anything, make sure the driver for your wireless card supports:
- hostap
- apbridge

You can check this with ifconfig -v on the interface name, i.e.:
ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.100.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.100.255
        inet 192.168.100.51 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 192.168.100.51
        ether 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
                                                                  ^^^^^^
        status: associated
        ssid MYSSID channel 1 (2412) bssid 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 1
        wepkey 1:104-bit powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100 txpowmax 34
        txpower 63 rtsthreshold 2346 mcastrate 1 fragthreshold 2346 bmiss 7
        -pureg protmode CTS -wme burst ssid SHOW apbridge dtimperiod 1
                                                 ^^^^^^^^
        bintval 100

--
Mel