SATA problems (Abit IP35-Pro)

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 20:22:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Isaac Mushinsky <itz at mushinsky.net> wrote:

> On Friday 14 March 2008 13:57:11 Isaac Mushinsky wrote:
> > I am setting up a new system with Abit IP35-Pro (ich9r), 2 WD SATA
> drives
> > on the controller. There is also a SATA DVDRW to boot from.
> > With the default SATA setup (SATA/IDE) the system cannot find any SATA
> > drive. I was able to boot the install disk, attaching an old IDE CDROM,
> but
> > still could not make it see the hard drive.
> >
> > If I set SATA controller to AHCI, the system boots (although with some
> ACPI
> > errors), and I was able to install. However, fdisk thinks that the
> geometry
> > is "incorrect", and insists on a different one (it says the drives have
> > 476gb rather than 500gb).
> >
> > I can install with this AHCI setup, but have no idea what the
> implications
> > are. Is there a known fix for SATA/IDE? Or is AHCI better?
>

> Very well, but now I boot with ACPI errors like these:
>
> ACPI Error (psparse-0626) Method parse/execution failed [\\_TZ_.THRM._TMP]
> (Node 0xffffff000224ac60), AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE
> ACPI Exception (dsutils-0766) AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE Missing or null
> operand
> [20070320]
> ACPI Exception (dsutils-0766) AE_AML_NO_RETURN_VALUE While creating Arg 0
> [20070320]
>
> If I attempt to boot without ACPI, the machine hangs while trying to mount
> root filesystem. Why does disabling ACPI cause disk access problems? What
> can
> I do to fix this? Can I disable only thermal part of ACPI?

Could be a number reasons including interrupt routing to power management.
 Given that the AML error message refers to I believe a power mgmt table.

Can you try disabling power management in the BIOS, enable AHCI, and give it
a go?  If that doesn't work, try turning SMP off.

-aps

--
"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us is of little concern to
what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson