Superuser password lost

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Mar 16 08:01:57 UTC 2008

Historically on all UNIXes "superuser" = "the root user"

The problem as I see it is that recently Apple (probably stole
this idea from someone else) has introduced ambiguity into the
term with the creation of what they call the "owner" account
into MacOS X.  With regular MacOS X there's some things that an
ordinary user can do, but when an ordinary user tries to do
some other things, MacOS X flashes up a dialog asking for the
owners password.  However, even if you su to root, there's still
things that the system will not let you do which is insane
because real UNIX will happily allow the root user to rm -r /
if desired.  Once more, proving that MacOS X is nothing more
than UNIX-on-training-wheels, and reaffirming what Apple's
historic view of it's customers really is (ie: dumb and dumber)

Microsoft also introduced ambiguity into the concept, although
to their credit, they scruplously avoided use of the term
"superuser" or "root".  Under Microsoft operating systems,
there's ordinary users and there's "administrators" and you
can have multiple administrators, which isn't possible in
UNIX - thus a MS administrator <> a UNIX superuser.

I would suspect PC-BSD has copied the Apple nonsense and has
created this mutated account that's not quite a real superuser
account, and not quite a regular user account.

Ted